Section 504

  • What is Section 504? (.doc)

    Section 504 Procedural Rights & Safeguards 

    The following is a summary of rights provided under Section 504 for individuals with disabilities. Contact Parkway’s Special Services Department (314-415-7058) or the Assistant Principal of your child's school for additional information or assistance regarding Section 504.

    Students eligible under Section 504 have the right to...

    • participate in and benefit from public education programs without discrimination.
    • receive a free appropriate public education (FAPE), be educated with students without disabilities to the maximum extent appropriate, receive accommodations to meet individual needs, and have comparable opportunities to participate in school and school-related activities, including extracurricular and nonacademic activities offered by the school/district.
    • be educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided to students without disabilities.
    • have evaluation, educational, and placement decisions be based upon a variety of information sources and be made by persons who know the student, evaluation data, and placement options.
    • periodic reevaluations, reviews/revisions of their Section 504 plan, and applicable discipline protections.
    • receive special education and related services if eligible under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) and/or Section 504.

    Parents/guardians (or, when applicable, majority age students) have the right to…

    • be kept fully informed of decisions made about their children.
    • receive information about their rights under federal disability laws.
    • receive prior notice with respect to the identification, evaluation, or placement of their child.
    • examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding their child’s identification, evaluation, educational program, and placement and obtain copies of educational records and a response to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of their child’s records.
    • request amendment of their child’s educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that the records are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of their child. [Parkway “Student Records” policy (JRA.BP) and guidelines.]
    • submit complaints/appeals related to identification, evaluation, educational program, or placement. Complaints/appeals are to be submitted in writing to the Parkway Superintendent. Include the nature of the complaint, circumstances giving rise to the complaint, and the relief requested. Investigations shall be prompt and may include an informal meeting with the superintendent or his/her designee to attempt resolution. Complaints also may be filed with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR). [OCR Kansas City Office  816-268-0550; Email:  / OCR website:]
    • request a formal impartial due process hearing by an appointed hearing officer. A written request should be sent to the Parkway Superintendent (Parkway Administrative Center; 455 N. Woods Mill Rd.; Chesterfield, MO 63017). Include the nature of the complaint, circumstances giving rise to the complaint, and the relief requested.


    Section 504: The Law

    Direct Link to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act


    Parkway Policy IHBA.BP: Educational Program for Students with Disabilities


    Section 504 in College

    Guidance for Students from the Office for Civil Rights


    Office for Civil Rights - Contacts

    Filing a Discrimination Complaint with OCR

    Information and forms to file a discrimination complaint.


    Frequently Asked Questions on Section 504 in Public Schools

    Frequently Asked Questions 2009

    Frequently Asked Questions 2012