High School Cabin Leader Information
The Parkway Outdoor School Program utilizes high school students (grades 10-12) to serve as cabin leaders. Cabin leaders have the responsibility of supervising and leading a group of 8-12 sixth grade students throughout the 4-day/3-night week. SCROLL DOWN TO ON-LINE APPLICATION LINK BELOW.
Cabin Leader Requirements:
- Must complete all necessary paperwork.
- Online application form
- (3) Teacher referrals
- School dismissal and health forms
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Must be a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Must have approval from the school administrator and/or counselor.
- Must attend required training sessions and meetings.
- Must be in good standing with academics and school conduct.
Cabin Leader Expectations:
- Attend pre-camp training meeting(s) set up by the camp director
- Attend a 4-day session of Outdoor school at Camp Lakewood.
- Supervise and lead a group of 8-10 sixth grade students during their week at Outdoor School.
- Participate in and lead group activities (when appropriate).
- Be friendly, caring, and a positive influence for the sixth-grade students.
Application, Selection, and Training Process:
- Complete the online application (see links below). BE SURE TO CHOOSE THE PROPER LINK FOR THE SCHOOL YOU ATTEND.
- Email the teacher referral requests to THREE school staff members who know you best. Click your School's Referral Letter below, copy the link of the teacher request for student referral. Email the letter to three different teachers, counselors, and/or coaches that know you best and ask them to complete the online referral noting your Student ID # (Note: We are no longer using the paper forms. SEE THE REFERRAL FORM LINKS BELOW).
- Once the online application and three teacher referrals are submitted, you will receive an email verification from the Parkway Outdoor School Office regarding the status of your application. If you do not receive email verification by late September, please contact the Outdoor School Program Office at 314-415-7034.
- If approved, you will be included in a pool of eligible students from your school who can be recruited by the middle school team OS directors. IF YOU ARE BEING CONSIDERED BY A TEAM DIRECTOR, THEY WILL MAKE CONTACT WITH YOU FOR AN INTERVIEW. DIRECTORS ARE ASKED TO MAKE THEIR SELECTIONS BY EARLY SEPTEMBER FOR GROUPS ATTENDING IN THE FALL. CABIN LEADER SELECTIONS FOR SPRING DATES WILL BE IDENTIFIED BY EARLY JANUARY. LATE ADDITIONS, DUE TO STUDENT ILLNESS OR INELIGIBILITY MAY REQUIRE SELECTIONS AFTER THIS DATE.
- If you are selected to be a Cabin Leader for one of the middle school teams, you will be asked to attend after-school meetings to help prep you for your role and responsibilities. Attendance at these meetings is very important.
- Applications submitted after May 1 before the start of the next school year are good for the entire following school year. These applicants are considered Tier I candidates. Applicants who submit paperwork after the start of the following school year will be considered as a Tier II candidate. Tier II candidates are eligible if there are no Tier I candidates available to attend.
- If you have any difficulty with the application process, please see your School's Outdoor School Liaison.
On-Line Cabin Leader Application & Referral Forms (click school links below):
Application Window - April 1st to August 23rd, 2019
CENTRAL HIGH STUDENTS
NORTH HIGH STUDENTS
SOUTH HIGH STUDENTS
WEST HIGH STUDENTS
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Parkway Outdoor School
A: Parkway Outdoor School is an Environmental, Ecological, Educational program for sixth-grade students in the Parkway School District. It is more commonly referred to as "camp." The program is a weeklong program held at Camp Lakewood near Potosi, Missouri (about 90 miles from St. Louis). Sixth graders participate in various field lessons throughout the week learning in the outdoors about science, local history, teambuilding, outdoor skills, and the environment.
Q: What is a Cabin Leader?
A: A cabin leader is a high school student (sophomore, junior, or senior) who serves as a supervisor and leader of a group of 8-12 sixth grade students. He/she must possess the mature judgement necessary to safely and promptly escort students around the Camp Lakewood grounds; must be a positive role model at all times, acting in a manner that is consistent with the camp code of conduct; must be patient with others and empathetic to all students; and must be enthusiastic and possess a positive attitude.
Q: What will my responsibilities be as a Cabin Leader?
A: On the first morning of the camp week (typically Tuesday) you will meet at the middle school and ride with the teachers and students to Camp Lakewood on a Parkway bus. You will be assigned to a group of 8-12 sixth grade students and will help supervise them day and night. A primary responsibility is to help foster cabin community, encourage group leadership and help develop environmental stewardship. You will be expected to assist with classes, maintaining your group's cabin, and actively participating in special events, camp activities, and games.
Q: How do I apply to be a Cabin Leader?
A: The first step to applying is to complete the online application. The next step is to get three teacher referrals supporting your participation. A letter to request a teacher reference can be obtained on this website (see links below) or from your school's OS Liaison. Teacher referrals are completed online and the information is forwarded immediately to the Outdoor School Coordinator. If your application is approved, your name will be added to the list of eligible cabin leader candidates. Candidates will be selected by the directors and contacted for an interview.
Q: What should I do to let someone know I have applied or am interested?
A: Don't call us, we'll call you is our preferred method. You will receive an email notification immediately following the deadline that your online application is completed and the teacher referral forms have been received by the Parkway Outdoor School Department. School Team Directors will then review the candidates and make their selections. If you are being considered, you will receive a phone call from the school team director. If you have any questions regarding the application and selection process please feel free to call the Parkway Outdoor School Department at 314-415-7034.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED AFTER MAY 1 ARE GOOD FOR THE ENTIRE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR. SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVOKE ANY APPLICATION IF ACADEMIC STANDING OR SCHOOL CITIZENSHIP BECOMES A CONCERN.
- Must complete all necessary paperwork.